Design and simulation of electronic devices using Mentor Graphics software packages
- Use Mentor Graphics PADS Standard Plus programming tool to create electrical schematics, create library of components and design printed circuit boards
- Employ components libraries
- Employ rules for electronic circuits design
- Use HyperLynx software for analysis and simulation of signal integrity
- Use HyperLynx software for thermal analysis and simulation
- Create and manage the project archives
Forms of Teaching
Lectures are focused on theoretical and practical aspects of the printed circuit boards design.Laboratory Work
During laboratory exercises, students learn about process of designing and simulating printed circuit boards using PADS Professional and HyperLynx software package.Seminars
Students create printed circuit board project, with defined specification, using PADS Professional and HyperLynx software package. It is necessary to generate all required documentation: block diagram, electrical schematic, bill of materials, technical characteristics and masks for production of a printed circuit board.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||50 %||26 %||50 %||26 %|
|Class participation||50 %||13 %||50 %||13 %|
|Seminar/Project||50 %||61 %||50 %||61 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction to process of designing printed circuit board and introduction to PADS Professional.
- Introduction to process of creating schematic design. Defining project settings.
- Introduction to schematic user interface. Placing components into schematic.
- Schematic design techniques. Connecting components.
- Hierarchical design and design reuse.
- Schematic verification and documentation. Forwarding schematic to layout.
- Analysis and simulations of signal integrity.
- Midterm exam.
- Defining board outline. Placing components on printed circuit board.
- Verifying the layout. Defining routing constraints.
- Using different ways of designing routes (Interactive Routing and Semi AutoActive Routing).
- Thermal analysis and simulations.
- Generating output formats for production (Gerber and Drill Data). Dimensioning and documentation.
- Archiving and managing projects.
- Final exam.