Control and Grid Integration Techniques for Renewable Energy Sources
Data is displayed for academic year: 2023./2024.
Renewable energy sources are the main pillar of low-carbon energy systems of the future. However, their intermittance represents a disturbance on energy grids that needs to be counteracted with proper regulations and control. It also leads to often significant changes of operating regimes of renewable energy plants which is challenging for their control. The course sheds light on these key aspects and puts focus on wind and solar energy as the most exploited forms of renewable energy today. The following topics are elaborated. Capacities for integration of renewable energy sources in electricity grids and their specifics. Technical conditions for integration related to voltage and frequency. Fault-ride-through requirements. Influence of specific renewable energy sources on the environment and methods for performing the related studies. Connection of individual wind turbines in a wind farm to the grid and grid conditions for wind farm connection. Set-up and model of the inverter that enables the connection to the grid of a renewable energy source with internal direct current circuit. Classical vector control of the inverter. Inverter output power control. Basic components of a wind turbine and their set-up. Types of generators used in wind turbines and the ways of their grid connection through a corresponding generator converter and the grid-side inverter. Principles of control in specific configurations of a generator and generator converter. The physical principle of generating turning torque on a wind turbine from wind and modelling of this principle. Basic method for wind turbine control in the entire wind speeds spectrum. Basic structure of a photovoltaic plant. Models of photovoltaic cells, modules and arrays. Synthesis of control algorithm for the photovoltaic array maximum power point tracking.
[FER3-EN] Electrical Power Engineering - profileElective courses (3. semester)
- Explain capacities for integration of renewable energy sources in electricity grids and their specifics thereby
- Outline the influence of individual renewable energy sources on the environment
- Explain the connection of individual wind turbines in a wind farm to the grid and grid conditions for wind farm connection
- Explain the set-up and model of the inverter that enables the connection to the grid of a renewable energy source plant with internal direct current circuit
- Use vector control for grid-tied inverter control in a plant with a renewable energy source
- Breakdown basic components and the wind turbine set-up
- Operate basic generator types that are used in wind turbines and control methods for their corresponding generator power converters
- Demonstrate the principle of generating wind turbine torque from wind and its related mathematical model
- Derive the basic method for wind turbine control in the entire wind speeds spectrum
- Outline the current-voltage model of a photovoltaic array and its control mode for maximum power point tracking
Forms of Teaching
attending lectures is not mandatoryLaboratory
mandatory laboratory exercises
Week by Week Schedule
- RES integration capacity, RES generation specifics, ancillary services
- Technical requirements regarding frequency and voltage; Fault ride-through requirements
- Power systems main actors and related models in power modelling software, transient stability, control of frequency and voltage
- Power systems stability - basic concepts and definitions, system inertia, European system disturbances examples, resynchronization process
- Additional RES integration costs; Technical and economical impacts of RES power plants on the power system and energy transition importance
- Environmental impact studies, electrical wind turbines connection in a wind farm, inverter connection in a solar power plant, Grid codes
- Equivalent circuit of the three phase full bridge inverter; Nonlinear model with passive load; Linear model and transfer function, Vector control, Model of the full bridge three phase inverter in the grid connection, DC-link and grid-side power converter control
- Midterm exam
- Vector control of grid-side inverter with usage of dq transformation.
- Vector control of grid-side inverter with usage of dq transformation. Voltage control on DC circuit of the grid-side inverter.
- Basics of photovoltaic conversion. Modelling of solar irradiance. Algorithms for maximum power point tracking in a photovoltaic system.
- Modelling of aerodynamic torque generation on a wind turbine rotor. Control below the nominal speed of a wind turbine.
- Control above the nominal wind speed of a wind turbine. Modelling and control of electromecahnical conversion in a wind turbine generator.
- The whole wind turbine control system.
- Final exam
Remus Teodorescu, Marco Liserre, Pedro Rodriguez (2011.), Grid Converters for Photovoltaic and Wind Power Systems, John Wiley & Sons
Qing-Chang Zhong, Tomas Hornik (2012.), Control of Power Inverters in Renewable Energy and Smart Grid Integration, John Wiley & Sons
Bimal K. Bose (2019.), Power Electronics in Renewable Energy Systems and Smart Grid, John Wiley & Sons
(2017.), Mrežna pravila prijenosnog sustava, Narodne novine
(2018.), Mrežna pravila distribucijskog sustava, Narodne novine
L3 English Level
12 Laboratory exercises
0 Project laboratory
75 Very Good