Main purpose of this course is to give the students a basic knowledge in the field of electromedical equipment manufacturing and design, including an outline of characteristics and types of modern electromedical diagnostic and therapeutic equipment. An overview of specific requirements for this equipment, including designing principles and standards, is presented. After the completion of obligations within the course, students should be able to understand and define basic performances of most important electromedical diagnostic and therapeutic equipment, including some practical skills of its use. It could be expected that, with the acquired knowledge, they could be working as clinical or biomedical engineers.
- classify Biomedical sensors and transducers.
- design bioelectric amplifiers. Use Electromagnetic interference suppression techniques.
- design electrocardiographs. Physiological pressure and other cardiovascular measurements and devices.
- design of biological impedance measurement and respiratory system parameters
- compare pacemakers and defibrilators, understand principles of operation of electrosurgery and laser operating modes.
- compare medical imaging methodes and equipment in radiology, nuclear medicine and medical ultrasound and MRI
Forms of Teaching
Lectures are held weekly with duration of 3 hours.Exams
Midterm exam is a writtten exam. The final exam consists of the written and oral exams.Laboratory Work
Laboratory exercises cover specific parts of the course, and they are organized in agreement with the students.Consultations
Students are encouraged to use the consultations as a part of active learning process.Seminars
Students are writing their seminars individually.Internship visits
Professional tours are organized according to the time of students.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||30 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||40 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||50 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction. Biomedical sensors and transducers
- Bioelectric amplifiers. Electromagnetic interference suppression techniques
- Electrocardiographs. Physiological pressure and other cardiovascular measurements and devices
- Biological impedance measurement. Respiratory system and its measurement.
- Intensive and coronary care units.
- Cardiac pacemakers and defibrilators
- Examples and exercises
- Testing - written midterm exam
- Implantable active medical devices
- Electrosurgery. Lasers.
- Medical imaging equipment.
- X ray equipment and CT
- Medical ultrasound. Nuclear medicine. Magnetic resonance imaging.
- Visit to a medical centre including lecture on a specific topic
- Testing - final exam, written and oral