Analog and Mixed-signal Integrated Circuits
Understanding of procedures and rules of analog integrated circuit design and analog-digital converter design. Understanding of transistor parameter dimensioning and the cost that is being paid because of chosen transistor dimensions through chip area, power consumption, speed and other figures of merit.
- Explain the operation of basic building blocks of integrated circuits.
- Analyze and design one-stage and multi-stage operational amplifiers.
- Explain important configurations of operational amplifiers and their characteristics.
- Explain DC, AC and transient specifications of operational amplifiers
- Explain the offset voltage and mismatch of integrated circuits and calculate the contributions of various mechanisms on mismatch.
- Analyze and design basic AD/DA converters.
Forms of Teaching
Mid-term exam and final examLaboratory Work
Design of an electronic circuit in Cadence design environment.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||20 %||10 %||20 %||10 %|
|Seminar/Project||20 %||20 %||20 %||20 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||20 %||25 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||20 %||25 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||20 %|
|Exam: Written||20 %||35 %|
|Exam: Oral||35 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Basic integrated circuit design rules.
- Basic amplifier configurations and characteristics.
- Differential amplifier in MOS integrated circuit technology.
- Stability of operational amplifiers and compensation.
- Design of one-stage operational amplifiers.
- Design of multi-stage operational amplifiers.
- Important operational amplifier configurations - symmetrical operational amplifier.
- Symmetrical operational amplifier with cascode. Fully differential operational amplifier.
- Variouos realizations of fully differential operational amplifier.
- Input voltage range, output voltage range, slew rate.
- Offset voltage and mismatch.
- Building blocks of analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog (AD/DA) converters.
- Realizations and characteristics of AD/DA converters.
- Overview of other important integrated circuits and resume.