The first head of the Department was professor Mirko Soukup, Ph.D. The Department had three rooms in the laboratory building of the former Technical Faculty in Kačić street. In 1945 the Department loses its staff and ceases to operate. In 1946 it emerges as Department for Radio Engineering under the leadership of professor Vinko Albert, who initiated classes in the course Radio Engineering. In 1951 the Department returns to its original name, Department of High Frequency Technology, and in 1963 it changes name to Department of Electronics. The Department got its present name, Department of Electronics, Microelectronics, Computer and Intelligent Systems, in 1994.