- List of select publications
- Teaching duties
- Professional memberships
- Personal data
- List of select projects
- Past employments
(For full publication list please see my personal web page)
- L. Skorin-Kapov, M. Varela, T. Hoßfeld, K-T. Chen, "A Survey of Emerging Concepts and Challenges for QoE Management of Multimedia Services", to appear in ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications (ACM TOMM), 2018.
- T. Hoßfeld, L. Skorin-Kapov , P. Heegaard, M. Varela, "A New QoE Fairness Index for QoE Management", Quality and User Experience, Springer, 2018, open access: https://doi.org/10.1007/s41233-018-0017-x.
- I. Slivar, M. Sužnjević, L. Skorin-Kapov, "Game Categorization for Deriving QoE-Driven Video Encoding Configuration Strategies for Cloud Gaming", to appear in ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications (ACM TOMM), 2018.
- I. Orsolic, D. Pevec, M. Sužnjević, L. Skorin-Kapov, "A Machine Learning Approach to Classifying YouTube QoE Based on Encrypted Network Traffic", Multimedia Tools and Applications, Springer, 2017, pg. 1-35, available online, DOI: 10.1007/s11042-017-4728-4
- S. Baraković, L. Skorin-Kapov, "Modeling the relationship between design/performance factors and perceptual features contributing to Quality of Experience for mobile Web browsing", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol 74, Sept 2017 (available online April 2017), pp. 311-329., doi: 10.1016/j.chb.2017.04.046.
- T. Hoßfeld, L. Skorin-Kapov , P. Heegaard, M. Varela, Definition of QoE Fairness in Shared Systems, IEEE Communication Letters, Vol. 21, Issue 1, Jan. 2017, available online, DOI: 10.1109/LCOMM.2016.2616342
- M. Marjanović, L. Skorin-Kapov, K. Pripužić, A. Antonić and I. Podnar Žarko. "Energy-Aware and Quality-Driven Sensor Management for Green Mobile Crowd Sensing", Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Elsevier, Vol. 59, pp. 59-108, Jan. 2016.
- M. Sužnjević, L. Skorin-Kapov, I. Humar, "Statistical User Behavior Detection and QoE Evaluation for Thin Client Services",Computer Science and Information Systems, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 587-605, 2015.
- S. Baraković, L. Skorin-Kapov, "Multidimensional Modelling of Quality of Experience for Mobile Web Browsing", Computers in Human Behavior, Sept. 2015, Vol. 50, pp. 314-332, Elsevier, DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2015.03.071
- L. Skorin-Kapov, O. Dobrijević, D. Piplica, "Towards Evaluating the Quality of Experience of Remote Patient Monitoring Services: A Study Considering Usability Aspects", International Journal of Mobile Human Computer Interaction, 6(4), pp. 59-89, Oct.-Dec. 2014.
- K. Ivešić, L. Skorin-Kapov, M. Matijašević. "Cross-layer QoE-driven Admission Control and Resource Allocation for Adaptive Multimedia Services in LTE", Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Elsevier, doi:10.1016/j.jnca.2014.09.010, available online Sept. 2014, vol 46, pp. 336-351. [ScienceDirect][PDF, pre-print of the final version]
- M. Varela, L. Skorin-Kapov, F. Guyard and M. Fiedler. "Meta-Modeling QoE - Towards a Generic Methodology for Building QoE Models". PIK - Praxis der Informationverarbeitung und -kommunikation, Vol. 37, No. 4, Oct. 2014, pp. 265-274, DOI: 10.1515/pik-2014-0028
- S. Barakovic, L. Skorin-Kapov, "Survey and Challenges of QoE Management Issues in Wireless Networks", Journal of Computer Networks and Communications, Vol. 2013, Article ID 165146, 28 pages, doi:10.1155/2013/165146 [Open Access Journal]
- K. Ivešić, L. Skorin-Kapov, M. Matijašević, “Towards QoE-Driven Resource Allocation for Multimedia Services in LTE”, E-Letter of the Multimedia Communications Technical Committee (MMTC), IEEE Communications Society, Nov. 2012 (Vol. 7, No. 8)
- L. Skorin-Kapov, M. Matijasevic, “Analysis of QoS Requirements for e-Health Services and Mapping to Evolved Packet System QoS Classes,” International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications, vol. 2010, Article ID 628086, 18 pages, 2010. doi:10.1155/2010/628086. [Open Access Journal]
- L. Skorin-Kapov, M. Mošmondor, O. Dobrijević, M. Matijašević, “Application-level QoS Negotiation and Signaling for Advanced Multimedia Services in the IMS”, IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 45 No. 7, July 2007, pp. 108-116. [PDF]
- M. Mosmondor, L. Skorin-Kapov, R. Filjar, M. Matijasevic. “Conveying and Handling Location Information in the IP Multimedia Subsystem”, Journal of Communications Software and Systems (JCOMSS), Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 313-321, December 2006. [PDF]
- L. Skorin-Kapov, H. Komerički, M. Matijašević, I. Pandžić, M. Mošmondor. “MUVA: A Flexible Visualization Architecture for Multiple Client Platforms”, Journal of Mobile Multimedia, Rinton Press, Vol. 1 No. 1, 2005, pp. 03-17. [JMM] [PDF]
- L. Skorin-Kapov, D. Mikić, D. Vilendečić, D. Huljenić, “Analysis of End-to-End QoS for Networked Virtual Reality Services in UMTS”, IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 42 No. 4, April 2004, pp. 49-55. [PDF]
- M. Matijašević, L. Skorin-Kapov. “Design and Evaluation of a Multi-User Virtual Audio Chat”, Future Generation Computer Systems, Vol. 19, pp. 229 - 239, February 2003. [FGCS] [PDF]
Lea Skorin-Kapov was born in Zagreb, Croatia. She attended elementary school and high school in Canada and the USA. After returning to Croatia, she received her Dipl.-Ing., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in Telecommunications from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing (FER) at the University of Zagreb, Croatia, in 2001, 2004, and 2007, respectively. She was awarded the Silver Plaque „Josip Loncar“ award for both outstanding masters thesis and outstanding doctoral dissertation. Her doctoral dissertation was entitled "A Framework for Service-Level End-to-End Quality of Service Negotiation and Adaptation". In 2001, she completed a short term internship at the Czech Technical University in Prague.
From 2001-2009 she was employed as a senior research engineer and project manager in the Research and Development Center of Ericsson Nikola Tesla d.d. (ETK), Zagreb, Croatia. During that time she was involved in projects conducted in collaboration between ETK and FER focused on researching QoS signaling, negotiation, and adaptation for advanced multimedia services in NGNs. She was also a member of the ETK Innovation Management Group and Technology Management Group. In 2005 she completed the Ericsson Leadership Core Curriculum development program. From 2003-2009 she participated in organizing and running the annual ETK Summer School for top-class students (in cooperation with FER). From 2002-2009 she was an adjunct teaching and research assistant at the Department of Telecommunications, FER, University of Zagreb.
Since 2010 she has been employed at the Department of Telecommunications, FER, University of Zagreb, where she is currently an Associate Professor. Her research interests include Quality of Experience modeling of multimedia and mobile Web-based applications, cross-layer negotiation and management of QoS/QoE in NGN environments, and policy-based resource allocation and optimization mechanisms.
She is the principal investigator for the projects "Cooperative Quality of Experience Management for Interactive Cloud-Based Multimedia Applications in Mobile Networks" funded by the Croatian Science Foundation, and "QoMoVid: QoE Monitoring Solutions for Mobile OTT Video Streaming" funded by Ericsson Nikola Tesla. She is also currently involved in EU COST Action IC1304 ACROSS (Autonomous Control for a Reliable Internet of Services). She previously participated in the EU COST Action IC1003 (European Network on Quality of Experience in Multimedia Systems and Services, QUALINET),Celtic-Plus project "Quality of Experience Estimators in Networks" (QuEEN), FP7 OpenIoT, and EU SIIF project "ICT-based Competence Network for Innovative Services for Persons with Complex Communication Needs ".
She has published over 70 scientific papers, has served on numerous conference and workshop TPCs including ACM Multimedia, ACM Multimedia Systems, QoMEX, ICC, Infocom, ITC, SPIE, QCMan, and others, and has served as Program co-chair of the IEEE flagship Region 8 conference EUROCON. She is on the editorial board of Springer's Multimedia Systems journal and has served as Guest Editor for the IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, and ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications. She acts as reviewer for top rated journals including IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE Communications Magazine, IEEE Computer, Springer Multimedia Tools and Applications, IEEE Surveys and Tutorials. She was a contributing author to ETSI TS 103 294 "Speech and multimedia Transmission Quality (STQ); Quality of Experience: A Monitoring Architecture".
She is currently serving as Chapter vice-chair of the IEEE Communications Society —Croatia Chapter, and is co-chair for the IEEE MMTC QoE Interest Group.
- Heuristic Optimization Methods (Lecturer in charge)
- Laboratory of Telecommunications and Informatics 2 (Lecturer in charge)
- Graduation Thesis (Lecturers)
- Project (Lecturers)
- Chapter vice-chair of the IEEE Communications Society —Croatia Chapter
- Co-chair for the IEEE MMTC QoE Interest Group
List of select projects
- Q-MANIC: Cooperative Quality of Experience Management for Interactive Cloud-Based Multimedia Applications in Mobile Networks; Croatian Science Foundation, 2015-2018 (PI)
- QoMoVid: QoE Monitoring Solutions for Mobile OTT Video Streaming, 10/2016 - 10/2018, Project funded by Ericsson Nikola Tesla (PI)
- Survey and analysis of monitoring solutions for YouTube network traffic and application layer KPIs, 2016, projekt suradnje s tvrtkom Ericsson Nikola Tesla (PI), 2015-2016
- EU COST Action IC1304: Autonomous Control for a Reliable Internet of Services (ACROSS), 2014-2017
- ICT Competence Network for Innovative Services for Persons with
Complex Communication Needs, Science and Innovation Investment Fund, IPA IIIc, projekt financira EU, 30.03.2013-29.03.2015
- Celtic-Plus projekt "Quality of Experience Estimators in Networks" (QuEEN), 2011-2014
- EU COST Action IC0703 “Data Traffic Monitoring and Analysis (TMA)”, 2011-2012
- EU COST Action IC1003 “European Network on Quality of Experience in Multimedia Systems and Services (QUALINET)”, 2011-2014
- “Services and Applications in the Future Internet: Ensuring Quality and Energy Efficiency”, bilateral project between Slovenia and Croatia (MZOŠ), 2012-2013
- “Nove arhitekture i protokoli u konvergentnim telekomunikacijskim mrežama” (MZOŠ), 2007-2011
- "Isporuka sadržaja i pokretljivost korisnika i usluga u mrežama nove generacije" (MZOŠ), 2011
- "Arhitektura i protokoli otvorene "all-IP" generacije mobilnih mreža", (MZOŠ), 2002-2006
- 2016 - : Associate Professor; FER, Department of Telecommunications, Zagreb
- 2010 - 2016 : Assistant Professor; FER, Department of Telecommunications, Zagreb
- 2001-2009: Research Engineer/Project Manager; Ericsson Nikola Tesla d.d., Zagreb