Sound Quality in Broadcasting
Course teaches understanding of radio broadcasting systems. Students will be able, on the basis of this knowledge, to individually analyse, design and develop contemporary radio broadcasting systems.
- explain parameters of QoS for audio information
- explain organisation of sound broadcasting station
- analyze analog and digital sound broadcasting systems
- categorize principles of digital audio data reduction
- create system for transmission of sound and related data
- appraise optimal sound broadcasting system
Forms of Teaching
Lectures once a week, 90 minutes durationExercises
Auditory excercisesLaboratory Work
Laboratory will be organized through 5 excercises, each of 90 minutes duration.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||20 %||0 %||25 %|
|Class participation||0 %||10 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||40 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||25 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Physical channels for sound transmission
- Organization of radio-workstation. Technological spaces. Optimal acoustic parameters.
- Audio signal processing in time and frequency domain and preparation for transmission. Loudness.
- AM and FM broadcasting systems.
- Influence of errors on AM and FM systems. Measuring audio quality properties of AM and FM receivers.
- Digitalization of audio signals. Sampling, quantization and coding.
- Losless and lossy audio compression based on psyhoacoustic principles.
- Midterm exam.
- Digital modulation techniques and application in sound broadcasting. Ortoghonally frequency division multiplex.
- DRM i DRM+ system.
- DAB and DAB+ system. Procedures for determining of audio systems quality.
- Other digital radiobroadcasting systems. Interactive radio broadcasting, internet radio.
- Connection of audio signal with other components of multimedia systems. Transfer of sound in a mobile network.
- Procedure for translation from analog to digital broadcasting systems. Choosing the most suitable system for Croatia.
- Final exam.