Sustainable Development and Environment
Students will acquire basic knowledge in sustainable development and environment protection. They will become aware of the necessity of environment protection and active participation in civil society actions. They will find out how to increase competitiveness by utilizing eco efficiency and how to promote equality of environmental and social dimensions compared to economical dimensions.
- Explain relationship among economic development, environmental limitations and scarce resources
- Explain relationship among pattern of production and consumption, and large-scale ecosystem disturbances
- Describe institutional and legal framework in environmental protection in Croatia
- Explain greenhouse gases emissions, the global warming, and international agreement on climate changes
- Analyze status and trends in exploitation of main resourses: energy, water and arable land in the world
- Assess importance of sustainable development, and sustainable development indicators
Forms of Teaching
Teaching the course is organized in two teaching cycles. The first cycle contains seven weeks, mid-term exam, and the second cycle contains six weeks of classes and a final exam. Classes are conducted through a total of 15 weeks with weekly load of 2 hours. Each lecture includes written material and slides.Seminars
Student is expected to write an essay on one of the offered subjects. Essays are written in groups of three students and are expected to be between 15 000 and 20 000 characters in length. Stdent is expected to add pictures as needed.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Comment:||Percent of Grade|
|Class participation||0 %||10 %||0 %||10 %|
|Seminar/Project||10 %||25 %||10 %||25 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||8 %||35 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||65 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction and discussion on course work. Elements of sustainable development: economy, environment and society. Education in environmental protection (Harward's Pladge, Tallories Declaration)
- Easter Islands paradigm, lifestyle choice and importance of world view.
- Systematic approach to sustainable development. Interconnectivity between economies and ecosystems.
- Paradigm of economic growth and development. Modern patterns of production and consummation and their impact on the environment, economic development and growth and its implications on environment and polarisation of world economy.
- Implementation of environmental protection. Documents of environmental protection.
- Definitions: ecology, environment, environmental protection. Problems of environmental protection. History of environmental protection.
- Physical planning and environmental protection. Locations. Environmental impact assessment. Environment impact studies. Environmental protection system in Croatia.
- Waste management.
- Cleaner production. Ecological efficiency. Social responsibility of enterprises. Tools for development management: EMS, ISO 14000. Reporting on the environment.
- Ozone layer and ozone holes. Glass house effect. Global warming. Global warming consequences. Sustainable development and environmental protection – similarities and differences. How to achieve sustainable development?
- Invited lecturer.
- Growth limits: world population, water, soil, minerals, energy. World resources and population in geopolitical context. Global development scenarios. Dimensions of sustainable development.
- In the search for the solution.