Students learn basic concepts of scripting language programming. They are introduced to the basics of programming in several popular scripting languages (UNIX shell, Perl, Phyton) and their typical application areas.
- define scripting languages and list their properties
- select programming language and tools suitable for given problem
- write and apply simple bash scripts
- write and apply simple Perl scripts
- write and apply simple Python programs
- analyze and adapt simple bash, Perl and Python scripts
Forms of Teaching
Lectures will be held in two cycles (7 + 6 weeks), 2 hours a week.Exams
Midterm exam will be held after the first lecture cycle, the final exam after the second lecture cycle. The students can also take regular exams.Laboratory Work
Laboratory exercises will be held in 3 cycles, each in extent of 5 hours.Acquisition of Skills
Writing scripts in bash shell, programming in Perl and Python, debugging.Other Forms of Group and Self Study
Students independently solve program problems as a preparation for laboratory exercises.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Comment:||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||50 %||30 %||50 %||30 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||30 %||40 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||70 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction – features of scripting languages, typical application areas.
- Operating system interface.
- Operating system shell programming.
- Unix tools. Regular expressions.
- Introduction to Perl programming language. Scalar data types.
- Lists and arrays in Perl. Associative arrays.
- Subroutines. Files.
- Midterm exam.
- Regular expressions in Perl. Text processing. Command line programs.
- Introduction to Python programming language. Basic data types.
- String operations. String methods. Lists.
- Dictionaries. Files. Statements and programming constructs in Python.
- Functions, modules, namespaces.
- Object-oriented programming in Python.
- Final exam.