Networked Sensor Systems
Student has knowledge for design and implementation of the physical layer of the sensor networks as systems of embedded nodes with very low power consumption, powered from the batteries or by harvesting energy, in various application domains.
- define intelligent sensor and describe principles of the corresponding international standards
- apply industrial field buses for sensor networking
- design battery powered embedded sensor with very low power consumption
- develop system for energy harvesting and power management
- combine various modes of power reduction in wireless sensor networks
- apply sensor networks in various applications
Forms of Teaching
Two hours of lectures are given weekly through 15 weeks.Exams
There is a written mid exam and final oral exam.Consultations
Consultations are scheduled weekly.Seminars
Students work on a group design project.Internship visits
Visits to industrial pratners are arranged.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Seminar/Project||0 %||45 %||0 %||45 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||20 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||35 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||20 %|
|Exam: Oral||35 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction, networked embedded sensors, sensorization.
- Smart sensor concept, MEMS technology and MEMS smart sensors.
- IEEE 1451 standard for smart transducers.
- Industrial serial protocols, HART protocol.
- CAN protocol.
- Wireless sensor networks, overview, node architecture.
- Design of battery operated electronic systems.
- Mid term exam - written.
- Wireless sensor networks, network architecture.
- Wireless sensor networks, power management.
- Wireless sensor networks, MAC protocols.
- Wireless sensor networks, energy harvesting.
- RFID technologies and systems.
- Project presentations.
- Final exam - written and oral.