Materials in Electrical Products
Knowledge of basic physical, technological, mechanical, electrical and magnetic properties of materials used in electrical engineering products. Ability to choose the desired materials in electrical engineering purpose. The ability of evaluating the voltage and current rating, and efficiency of electrical engineering equipment, depending on the material used.
- identify the basic types of materials used in electrical engineering products.
- knowing the basic mechanical, electrical and magnetic properties of electrical materials.
- describe the basic methods of testing mechanical, electrical and magnetic properties of electrical materials.
- understand the basic structure and connections within the material used in electrical engineering products.
- knowing the basic use of conductive, semiconductor, dielectric and magnetic materials
- estimate the voltage and current carrying capacity and efficiency of electrical engineering products, depending on the material used.
- calculate the basic parameters of conductive, dielectric and magnetic materials necessary for the realization of electrical engineering products.
- classify materials of electrical engineering products from the point of action on the environment, waste and recycling.
Forms of Teaching
Lectures are organized through 2 teaching cycles. The first cycle consists of 7 weeks of classes and mid-term exam, a second cycle of 6 weeks of classes and final exam. Classes are conducted through a total of 15 weeks with a weekly load of 2 hours.Exams
Examination consists of midterm exam and final exam.Consultations
After each lecture.Seminars
At the end of the second cycle of lectures, students self-made seminars which demonstrate the ability to connect theoretical knowledge about the materials used in electrical engineering products.Internship visits
During lectures students are organizing two technical visits to companies engaged in production and testing of electrical materials.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Comment:||Percent of Grade|
|Seminar/Project||0 %||20 %||0 %||20 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||20 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||40 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||20 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||40 %|
|Exam: Oral||40 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Systematization of materials. The basic properties of materials. Basic methods of testing materials. Standards.
- Models of the atoms. Relationships among the particles of solids. The basic structure of solids.
- The division and the basic properties of conductive materials.
- Conductors, cables, fiber optic cables.
- Materials for electrical contacts and brushes. Materials for thermocouple, termobimetale and circuit breaker.
- Special conductive materials.
- Basic properties and applications of semiconductor materials.
- Midterm exam.
- The basic physical properties and classification of magnetic materials.
- Systematization, properties and applications of soft magnetic materials.
- Systematization, properties and applications of hard magnetic materials.
- Systematization, properties and applications of basic organic insulating materials
- Systematization, properties and applications of basic inorganic insulation materials.
- Protection against corrosion, cathodic protection. Selection and testing of products on the environmental conditions. Disposal of discarded products and environmental protection.
- Final exam.