Introduction to Nanoscience
In recent years Nanoscience and Nanotechnology has become one of the most important and exciting forefront fields in Physics, Chemistry, Engineering and Biology. The course will acquaint the students with the whole idea of nanoscience and nanotechnology and provide a solid background for the understanding of basic concepts of nanoscience. "Introduction to Nanoscience" will also be ideal as a basic-level, pre-course for many of the new courses now being established in several disciplines, covering the broad field of nanotechnology and nanoscience.
- Define and apprehend the basic phenomena and ideas of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
- Explain and understand basic quantum systems.
- Explain and understand new properties and behaviour of nanostructures.
- Explain and understand that the dependance of the behavior on the particle sizes can allow one to engioneer their properties.
- Explain and understand the techniques for the nanofabrication and self-assembly, microscopy, manipulation and measurement - the tools for characterization of nanostructures.
- Generalize and understand the broad implications of nanotechnology.
- Explain and understand new smart materials based on nanostructures.
- Develop the understanding or apprehend the role and consequences of applications in (nano)electronics, (quntum)computing, (nano)biology and (nano)medicine.
Forms of Teaching
Lecturers with AV support originated by the laboratories.Exams
Regular weekly consultations.Seminars
Individual presentations of specified topics.Other Forms of Group and Self Study
Seminar, presentation (arbitrarily chosen subject of student's interest)Internship visits
Visit to Institute "Ruđer Bošković"
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Comment:||Percent of Grade|
|Seminar/Project||0 %||30 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||35 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||35 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||70 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction to nano (world);What is nanoscience? Hystory; Overview of quantum effects and fluctuations in nanostructures.
- The fundamental science behind nanoscience. Quantum mehanics-the basics, the uncertainty principle, , Hitachi experiment, Schroedinger equation.
- Confined electrons in 1D and 3D; electron tunneling through a potential barrier, hydrogen atom, multielectron atoms, periodni sistem elemenata.
- Basic nanostructures - (quantum dots, quantum well, quantum wires).
- Tools for measuring and manipulating nanostructures (atomic force microscope,scanning tunneling microscope)
- Making nanostructures-an overview of nanofabrication: top down and bottom up approach.
- Tools to make (grow) nanostructures (epitaxy (MBE) - atom by atom, litography, ion implantation; chemical method, self-assembly etc).
- Middle exam
- Tools to characterize and measure different properties of nanostructures: microscopy, spectroscopies (FTIR, Raman)
- Tools to characterize and measure different properties of nanostructures: optical and electrical spectroscopy (photoluminescence, IV, CV, DLTS techniques)
- The new carbon age (carbon nanowires, fulerens, graphene, nanodiamond, nanoonions,...)
- Smart materials, new materials based on nanostructures, new composite materials (polymer-nanostructures);
- Examples and applications of nanomaterijals in nanoelectronics, nanocomputing: from a single electron transistors to next generation solar cells, nanocomputers, nanorobots
- Examples and applications in nanobiology and nanomedicine, Cancer detecting and fighting nanoparticles, smart drug delivery nanoparticles;