Electronic Equipment Power Supplies
Students acquire knowledge on design, construction and application of power supplies.
- describe characteristics of the particular energy sources
- choose adequate energy source or combination of them
- describe active and passive components used in power supplies
- describe elements and methodes for heat transfer
- state standards for power supplies
- design printed circuit board for the power supply
- design of power supply according to the specifications
Forms of Teaching
Lectures are focused on theoretical and practical aspects of key course topics (two hours per week).Exams
Continuous evaluation encompasses two written exams (midterm and final exam). Students who do not satisfy at continuous evaluation must undertake both the written and oral exam. Students are questioned at the laboratory exercises and they also collect the points for a seminar.Laboratory Work
Students are obliged to take laboratory exercises (15 hours). During the laboratory exercises, students learn about principles of power supplies.Consultations
Consultations for students are held once per week.Seminars
Students (in groups of up to three students) explore a theme or subject of interest related to the course.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||50 %||10 %||50 %||10 %|
|Seminar/Project||0 %||10 %||0 %||10 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||50 %||40 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||50 %||40 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||40 %|
|Exam: Oral||40 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Electrical energy sources: mains power source, electrochemical sources, fuel cells, solar cells, ultracapacitors, windmill power plants.
- Properties of particular electrical energy source.
- Selection of optimal energy source.
- Power semiconductors: MOSFET, IGBT, diode.
- Passive components for power supplies: capacitors, inductors, transformers, resistors.
- Heat transfer.
- Heat transfer devices: heat sink, Peltier element, heat pipe, fan.
- Midterm exam
- Power supply circuits.
- Integrated power supply circuits.
- Power supplies for mobile equipment.
- Power factor correcton.
- PCB design for power supplies. Electromagnetic compatibility.
- Redundancy. Standards for power supplies.
- Final exam