Design of Electric Machinery
Knowledge of electric machine design based on technical specifications and demands. Basic knowledge of thermal and mechanical limitations in construction and exploitation of electrical machines. Ability to utilize standards and regulations in electrical industry and utility. Capability of creating an electric machine design.
- describe the structure of transformers and rotating machines
- identify the types of cooling, mechanical protection and construction of transformers and rotating machines
- explain the principles of design in electrical machinery
- calculate the main dimensions of transformers and rotating machines
- analyze the impact of the choice of parameters of an electric machine on the output characteristics
- relate characteristics of the magnetic circuit with parameters of an electric machine model
Forms of Teaching
Lectures take place in two cycles: the first cycle lasts for 7 weeks with 2 hours per week, and the second cycle lasts for 6 weeks with 2 hours per week.Laboratory Work
Laboratory exercises are held in the period of three weeks in the second cycle with duration of 3 hours per week.Seminars
The seminar consists of creating an electromagnetic design of either a transformer, a synchronous machine or an induction machine
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Comment:||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||30 %||0 %||30 %|
|Seminar/Project||0 %||40 %||0 %||40 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||20 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||10 %|
|Exam: Oral||30 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Definition of the design problem. Conditions and limitations in the design considering the properties of materials and utilization of international and national standards.
- Magnetic circuit of an electrical machine. Main and leakage flux. Reluctances of the magnetic circuit.
- Determination of main dimensions of the magnetic circuit. Electrical and magnetic limitations considering the allowed heating and saturation of the magnetic circuit. Nonlinearity of the magnetic circuit. The use of scaling laws in the design.
- Types of electric machine windings. Magnetomotive force, linear current density and air gap field distribution. Induced voltage.
- Electromagnetic forces and torques. Main and leakage inductances
- Calculation of winding and core losses. Mechanical losses. Efficiency.
- Heating of the machine and heat transfer. Thermal equivalent circuit. Calculation of winding and core temperatures.
- Mid-term exam
- Basic design of a power transformer
- Determination of principal dimensions of hydrogenerators and turbogenerators.
- Electromagnetic design of an induction machine
- Permanent magnet machine design
- Fundamentals of finite element method. Numerical calculation of torque, induced voltage and electric machine parameters.
- Structure of a computer program for an electric machine design. Flow chart. Iterative calculation procedure and criterions of convergence. Optimization methods, cost functions and constraints in electric machine design.
- Final exam
Electrical Engineering Systems and Technologies -> Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (Profile)