Antennas and Propagation
Deep understanding of antennas and propagation of EM waves in free space, near ground and in presence of obstacles. Allowing students to develop an intuition and physical feeling for different radiating structures and propagation phenomena. Ability to develop design capabilities of basic types of antennas and antenna systems.
- summarize analysis of electromagnetic problems in radio frequency band
- describe basic types of antennas, their method of functioning and application
- summarize the concept of near and far field of antennas and antenna arrays
- design basic types of antenna arrays
- apply the concept of radiation pattern in antenna application and design
- describe and apply microstrip antennas
Forms of Teaching
Lectrures are given with the use of powerpoint presentations published on the web pages.Exams
Continuous examination: - 4 short (10 min.) exams during lectures x 2 points = 8 points - mid-exam 3 problems x 10 points = 30 points -final written exam 3 problems x 10 points = 30 points - oral exam 32 points (16 points minimum for pass) During examination periods: - 4 short (10 min.) exams during lectures x 2 points = 8 points - written exam 3 problems x 20 points = 60 points - oral exam 32 points (16 points minimum for pass)Exercises
Solving example problems is performed during lectures.Laboratory Work
Laboratory excercises take place within subject "Laboratory".Experiments
Adequately, some principles are illustrated by experiments during lectures.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Comment:||Percent of Grade|
|Quizzes||0 %||8 %||0 %||8 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||30 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||32 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||60 %|
|Exam: Oral||32 %|
Participation in lectures includes short exams that can yield up to 8% of points within subject.
Week by Week Schedule
- Propagation of EM waves in free space and wave incidence on the boundary between two homogenous media
- Wave propagation near earth surface.Atmosphere attenuation and influence of the ionosphere.
- Scattering, diffraction, refraction and bending of EM waves around obstacles.
- Radiation of EM energy, Hertz dipole. Magnetic dipole, duality theorem.
- Antenna parameters: polarization, radiation pattern, radiating impedance, directivity and gain, effective and scattering aperture.
- Electric dipole: short and half-wavelength dipole, folded dipole, monopole.
- Antennas in communication systems: Friis transmission equation. Aperture antennas, Huygens principle and the equivalence theorem.
- Antenna arrays: linear and planar.
- Slot and microstrip antenna.
- Horn antennas, reflector antennas, lens antennas. Broadband antennas: biconical, helical, spiral, log-periodic.
- Guided waves and transmission lines: reflection on the transmission line, impedance matching.
- Filters and duplexers.
- Electronically controlled attenuators, phase shifters and hybrids.
- Beam forming networks and circuits.
- Antenna measurement.
Wireless Technologies -> Information and Communication Technology (Profile)